One of the health conditions chiropractors deal with the most are headaches. They are also one of the top reasons for medical visits.
There are more than 120 different headache types that have been documented. Just the difficulty diagnosing the exact type of headache is complicated enough. And since there is really no conventional headache relief that is good for all headache types, you can imagine the amount of hit-or-miss situations that occur in the treatment of headaches. Medications are the conventional headache relief that mainstream medicine offers. They typically cover up the symptoms but do not correct the root cause of the problem.
Chiropractic Care for Headaches
Headaches have a common underlying cause. Chiropractic is the only healthcare discipline that gets into this underlying cause and offers natural relief. Because chiropractors deal with so many headache cases, headache relief in most chiropractic practices is practically routine.
For chiropractors, most diseases and conditions originate from certain malfunction or abnormality in the nervous system. The nervous system controls all the organs, functions and cells in the body. When it is not functioning optimally, the symptoms start to manifest. The nerve interference that is created when a bone gets out of alignment causes the nervous system to function abnormally. Bone misalignment can come from head trauma from accidents and excessive physical and emotional stress. With chiropractic adjustments, the spines are put back into correct alignment and the nerve interference are removed, allowing the body to function properly.
Types of Headaches that Chiropractic can Cure
The International Headache Society came up with three general categories of headaches for a more standard and universal way of classifying, diagnosing and treating them. They are:
- Primary headaches – Under this category are more than 90% of the headache types, including tension headaches, cluster headaches, and migraines.
- Secondary headaches – They comprise the remaining 10% of headaches, which are the results of medical conditions such as brain tumor, aneurism and sinus infection.
- Cranial neuralgias and facial pain – They are headaches from nerve inflammation in the head or pain in the neck and face from trigeminal neuralgia
Chiropractors are able to treat and help cure all primary headaches and sinus headache, which is of secondary headache category. Together, they make up the great majority of all headaches. The most common headaches chiropractors help to cure are:
- Tension Headaches – The most common type of headache, tension headaches bring mild to moderate pain. They may occur as a result of stress, physical or emotional.
- Cervicogenic Headaches – Headaches that are typically dull and originate from the neck. They can affect the temple, forehead, back or top regions of the head.
- Migraine Headaches – Throbbing pain typically felt on one side of the face. They are usually triggered by external stimulus like light and noise and cause nausea and vomiting.
- Cluster Headaches – They are severe burning or piercing pain in only one side of the head, usually. They come in clusters when experienced by the patient.
- Sinus Headaches – They are mild to moderate deep aching pain felt from the cheeks to the forehead, associated with sinus infections.
Chiropractic care provides a natural solution for practically all headache types. It addresses the cause of these headaches and not just the symptoms. With the cause addressed, the symptoms are eliminated and no other headache pain relief is needed.